Questions and Answers regarding the Open Call for SYNAPSE – The International Curators’ Network (April 23-27, 2013)
1. To whom is the call directed?
The Open Call SYNAPSE – The International Curators’ Network is aimed at up-and-coming curators who already have initial curatorial experience. There is no age limit. We are looking for curators to present their curatorial work and/or papers focusing on the subjects and methodologies of art and science, and specifically to the framework defined by “The Anthropocene Project” (www.hkw.de/anthropocene).
2. What application documents should I submit?
3. What is the call offering?
- The selected curators will participate at a five day workshop at Haus der Kulturen der Welt in Berlin (April 23-27, 2013) in the framework of SYNAPSE 2013 that will focus on theoretical and practical questions for curatorial practitioners with a thematic interest in art & science topics, specifically in the “Anthropocene”. No fee will be charged.
- The curators will have the opportunity to establish links with Haus der Kulturen der Welt and Berlin, as well as to internationally known curators, artists, theoreticians and scientists whose work is related to the topic of SYNAPSE 2013. They will also receive access to an international network of curators, including its digital platform www.synapse.info.
- Travel and accommodation expenses are covered by Haus der Kulturen der Welt (no per diems included, but catering and food during workshop hours)
4. How will participants be selected?
An international jury, comprising Anselm Franke (Curator and des. Head of Visual Arts Department, Haus der Kulturen der Welt, Berlin), Heike Catherina Mertens (Director of Arts and Culture, Ernst Schering Foundation, Berlin), Dr. Suely Rolnik (Professor at the Catholic University of São Paulo and curator), Dr. Adele Tan (Curator, National Art Gallery, Singapore) and Dr. Julia Voss (Art Historian and journalist, F.A.Z., Berlin/Frankfurt), will select up to ten curators. Successful applicants will be informed by beginning of December 2012. No details on the ongoing selection procedure will be made available before then.
5. May a curator use third-party funding?
The selected curators will be allowed to seek additional subsidies, in cooperation with and with the support of Haus der Kulturen der Welt.
6. May curator teams also apply?
Both individual curators and teams of curators may apply. In the case of curator teams, one representative will be invited to participate in the workshop. That representative will remain the contact partner of SYNAPSE.
7. May artists also apply?